We all have been fed the usual ‘Early to bed and early to rise, makes you healthy, wealthy and wise’ mantra. How about adding ‘thinner’ to the list of attributes, as well! Surprised? Read on…
Did you know that you need to take at least 7 hours sleep in order to stay fit and healthy?
There’s a sacredness to sleep that we overlook in this fast-paced life. We usually set our alarm clocks for the morning, but we should also set them for the night in order to start preparing for bed. By preparing ourselves to go to bed at 10.00 pm, we can make sure we keep our health on the right track.
Lack of sleep or disturbed sleep patterns will affect our body’s natural cycle. Let us understand how:
Increased levels of Ghrelin (a hormone responsible for increased hunger pangs)
Increased cravings for sugary and salty foods
Fat deposition & sluggish metabolism.
Another point worth noting is that our basal metabolic rate increases with sunrise and slows down with the sunset. Missing on early morning activities can cause our metabolism to slow down and encourage fat deposition throughout the day!
Considering our lifestyles today, we might find it difficult to hit the bed on time…so here are a few bedtime rituals you can follow:
- Restrict the intake of caffeinated beverages like tea/ coffee post 5.00 pm as they keep you perky during the wee hours.
- Eat early by 8:00 pm, so that your body gets enough time to digest the food and it doesn’t cause indigestion and bloating.
- Brush your teeth immediately after dinner to avoid giving into late night cravings. It not only helps you sleep better but also helps in losing weight.
- Avoid sugary foods like chocolates, Indian sweets and ice creams etc. – once they leave your system, you wake up craving for more.
- Spicy foods can cause heartburn and indigestion keeping you awake for long.
- Alcohol – It may relax your nerves, but you end up visiting the washroom too often causing disturbed sleep.
- Keep your room gadget-free – they can distract you and rob you of sleep.
- Have a cup of herbal or chamomile tea before going to bed – it calms your nerves.
- Take a bath and read a book to mentally prepare for sleep.
- Start chanting your favourite mantra (Caution: Do not chant it loudly, your spouse may throw you out of the room) or meditate. You will soon fall asleep.
And if you are one of those whose partner snores, keeping you awake then we have a solution right here
SO, SLEEP EARLY…WAKE UP THINNER..!