A snoring person can be a great source of mirth to his friends and family. The image of a person snoring loudly with his mouth open evokes a round of laughter, doesn’t it? However, it may not be funny to his or her partner who has to suffer it throughout the night, every night. In fact, you won’t believe it, there are times when the snorer himself wakes up due to his loud snoring.
While some partners may sleep through it, for some it can be a nightmare causing bedroom fights and eventually lead to separate bedrooms.
If your partner’s snoring bothers you, maybe you should check what goes in your partner’s tummy throughout the day.
- Excessive salt intake. Don’t be surprised; there’s a whole lot of science behind it. Excessive consumption of salt can build fluids in the body. When the person lies down, the fluids run-up to the neck during sleep and narrows upper neck airways.
So, limit your salt consumption throughout the day and especially after dinner as you tend to reach out for the pack of chips or nachos. The next time, you go to the supermarket, stop yourself from stocking chips, salted popcorn and fried snacks – these are usually very high in salt. One way to control it is to brush your teeth immediately after dinner…so that when you are catching a late night movie, you don’t automatically grab that bag of chips. Not only will you control your snoring, but will also end up thinner. Read here to know more about that.
- Dairy consumption. Another surprise bomb! Dairy products like milk and cheese can lead to accumulation of mucus in the throat and nasal passages. It hinders the breathing ability.
Solution: If you cannot do without your milk chai, at least avoid its consumption after dinner. An ideal post-dinner snack is a handful of nuts – a mix of cashews, walnuts and almonds – of course unsalted 🙂
- Alcohol before bed. This is a no-brainer. Drinking alcohol just before going to bed can relax your throat muscles leading to snoring.
Solution: There’s none…you might have to say that nightcap goodbye. 🙁
Isn’t it surprising how food that gives you immense happiness, can also cause, if not treated correctly, a host of problems? But, if taken care, these solutions, apart from solving the snoring problem, have many other equally important health benefits. Here is a couple:
- Overall better health and weight loss – avoiding these foods before bedtime can help you lose up to 2-3 kgs in 6 months
- Better sleep and digestion that lead to better bowel movement first thing in the morning.
So if you don’t want to end up in separate bedrooms, you know what you need to do.
Here are some specific foods to avoid before bedtime.