So far, Bon Happetee has told you all about weight loss scams, good and bad eating habits, various myths and truths about food, a couple of healthy hacks, and so on. But … How about we cut out on all the gyaan we keep giving you and simply list out some really interesting food facts for you to read today.
Did you know that during colonial times, pineapples were so costly that they were rented in households, just to be put as centrepieces? Or that chocolate chip cookies were merely an accidental invention as a result of the chocolate in cookies not melting properly?
Read the article below for more such fascinating facts.
- Can you think of a food that has an eternal shelf life? No? The answer is honey, which can last up to 3000 years without rotting.
- When dried, fruits lose between 30 – 80% of their vitamins and antioxidants.
- None out of strawberries, raspberries or blackberries, are actual berries; whereas, banana, watermelon, avocado, pumpkin and tomatoes are berries. Rolled your eyes?? We did too!!
- Chocolate was once used as a currency by the Mayans and the Aztecs. A drink called Xocoatl was made using cocoa beans, the access to which was given only to the royals.
- More than half the seafood in US is produced by Alaska alone.
- Pound cake originally got its name because all the ingredients were used exactly a pound each.
- Apples, pears, and plums belong to the rose family.
- Green peas are a popular pizza topping in Brazil.
- The costliest pizza in the world is for a whopping $12,000, and takes 72 hours to be made. Made in Salerano, Italy, the pizza is topped with three different types of caviar, buffalo mozzarella, lobsters from Norway, and much more.
- Tea bags were accidentally created when tea samples were sent.
- Milt, a delicacy all over the world is actually fish sperm.
- A cup of popcorn contains more antioxidants than an average fruit or vegetable. But remember to eat just a cup. A typical movie popcorn is 10-12 cups at least.
- Fruit-flavored snacks are made with the same wax that is used to polish cars.
- Lettuce is the only vegetable or fruit that is never served in any other form (frozen, canned, etc.) other than fresh.
- Arachibutyrophobia is the fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of one’s mouth.
- Crackers don’t just have holes for aesthetic pleasure, but they are made because otherwise the crackers won’t bake properly.
- The popsicle was invented by an 11-year old boy in San Francisco (1905) when he accidentally left a mixture of powder flavoured soda water with a stick in it.
- Apples float in water because 25% of their volume is air.
- Strawberry is the only fruit that has seeds on the outside.
- Peanut butter, under an extremely high pressure has a probability to turn into a friggin’ diamond! Now, that’s what we call friggin’ interesting!
- There are, in all, 7,500 varieties of apples in the world. It would take you 20 years to try them all if you tried a new variety each day. Do you wanna try it? No harm, it keeps the doctors away anyway.
- No one needs a reason to eat chocolates. But, recent studies reveal that eating chocolates before tests can actually increase your chances of scoring well. Yayy!
- If you want your avocados to ripen fast, simply put an apple or banana around it. The ethylene gas emitted by these will do the trick.
- Four or more teaspoons of nutmeg at a time can cause hallucinations.
- Gelatin is made from the skin and bones of animals such as cows and pigs, the reason why vegetarians and vegans cannot eat it.
- Almonds are not nuts, but seeds.
- While a cluster of bananas is called a hand, a single one is called a finger.
- Running a tap with hot water while cutting an onion will prevent you from crying, the steam from the tap will absorb the vapours from the onion.
- There are around 350 different shapes of pasta all over the world. How many have you tried ?
- Popcorn was the first ever food to have been microwaved.
- The expiry date on a bottle of water is not for the water, but for the bottle. Water does not expire. LOL!!
- Because of the modern farming methods, chicken now contains 226% more fat than it did 40 years ago.
- Guess what was the first fruit to have been eaten on the moon? It was canned peach.
- Chicken soup was considered an aphrodisiac back in the Middle Ages. Which means it is not just for the soul 😉
- There is a chance that you may turn slightly orange-ish if you eat too many carrots.
- Garlic is a natural insect repellent. Well, if you eat too much it repels other humans 🙂
Hope you had a fun time reading these.